Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Photo Shoot: Mural Walk




The side of The Regal Theater East 79th Street

It's interesting to me how public art murals become landmarks and reflections of the history of a community, era, genre, and/or culture. I grew up seeing many of these murals through my community and am saddend that many of them are now gone. Here are a few of my favorites.



I remember seeing this every day as I road the #6 Jefferey bus to school. It depicts Father Simmons, once a pilar in the community who was a mentor to many African American boys who often turned gangs and drugs during this most critical age. This mural made me want to learn how to paint. I wanted to paint something that someone who always remember (the way I remember this).






I use to see this one when I road the Metra Train along 75th Street. The floding chair on the lower left shows the scale.














































...stumbled across a viaduct mosaic work-in-progress (cool!!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment